Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Without question

During the research that I did for the Safety meeting about stress, I read that Mother Teresa confessed "I have no time for myself" and would take a week-long retreat every so often to revive herself.
I mentioned it during our guests' lecture and he stopped and looked at me. He was genuinely frustrated that Mother Teresa's writings about her dark and questioning times were giving the Vatican cause to consider rescinding her sainthood.
How insanely arrogant and hypocritical is it to assume that no one of value in the religious world ever questioned God and their purpose?
In the Bible, Jesus wrestles with Satan in the garden and then cries out on the cross? And those are just moments that were recorded. There were hundreds of thousands of moments that went unreported. Do you think they were all moments of certainty?
To question and wonder and doubt is natural. Anyone who doesn't, who never ever does, is not healthy.

2 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Bungz said...

I agree. To have faith is not to be rock solid about the tenets of what we believe, but is to believe inspite of the doubts, a willingness to accept even when it doesn't make sense...

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

My entire life is one big question really......

Happy New Year Dear Jean..... you have been in my thoughts frequently.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home