Sunday, October 07, 2007

Halloween is coming!

I love Halloween.
I enjoy dressing up.
I've always liked Holidays that involved candy.
Easter and Halloween are my two favorites: Easter because it is the most important Christian holiday and Halloween because it's all about fun.
It's ironic that both are about death, resurrection and overcoming evil.
But there isn't a traditional Halloween dinner. Go figure.

My parents helped me dress up as a kid.
One year my mother sewed a clown suit together for a play and I wore it for Halloween and probably a few other times as well.

One year, my father created a headless horseman get-up for me out of cardboard and his plastic raincoat. I got a black hobby horse and though I couldn't see too well in the parish hall, heads turned.

The year that I came back from the hospital, my sister and a friend sat out on the station wagon's tailgate to pass out candy and they covered me with a dark blanket to be a moving rock.

When I was in college, I had one of my grandfather's old white suits. It was big. I slicked my hair back and went as David Byrne of The Talking Heads. Fa-fa-fa-fa oh-oh-oh Pscyho Killer Qu'est-ce que c'est


run run runawaaayy

Then I had several years of Halloween humbug and no one ever came by our house in the sticks on Halloween.

Then, Cristy renewed my Halloween spirit by having me over to the Halloween event at her house.
She decorates her house and yard, lines the driveway with chairs and orders a lot of pizza. Hundreds of kids swarm the neighborhood. It's great. I can't think of a better way to pass All Hallows Eve.

Last year, I was a black cat. The year before I was a werewolf that made little kids cry. (It has a very good mask.)

This year, I also have a costume but I will not reveal what it is until afterwards.

I like scary. All the commercial costumes you see for women are cutesy and suggestive.
We are more than that.

I want to be the doctor, the pirate, the ghoul.

One year, I went to a bar to check out the costumes (in the werewolf get-up) and saw a woman dressed as a tampon. What a hoot!

And there was a Queen dressed as a jellyfish. You know Mary has a big hat fetish!

As for real ghosts and goblins... I know there is natural spiritual energy, but until you prove that spirits linger... Halloween will always just be about FUN.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

it is my son's birthday.... I always LOVED Halloween, more than all the other holidays combined.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home